We welcome your work! You can read most kinds of prose, including
- Flash Fiction
- Short Stories
- Personal Essays
- Passages from Novels or Novellas
- Magazine and Periodical Articles
- Scripts and Screenplays
- Creative Non-fiction
- Please submit a copy of the story you would like to read, complete with title, via e-mail to The Storytellers.
- Your work should generally be about 6—8 minutes long when you read at an appropriate pace. That's roughly 4-5 pages of double-spaced 12-point copy. Your mileage may vary. If you have a longer piece, we may be able to accommodate it. Please keep longer pieces under 14-15 minutes since reader attention may flag. If your piece is too long, consider excerpting it or abridging it to fit our time constraints. You are also welcome to submit much shorter "flash" pieces. In some cases, you may wish to submit two or more pieces of "flash" for the same program.
- If we invite you to read your story, we will be touch to request biographical information for the website and the reading itself. It's perfectly acceptable to submit information about where to buy your work or your personal web site. Please see the "Meet Our Writers" page for ideas.
- "The Storytellers" is a regular feature of "Art Beat," hosted by DJ La La on KZCT Radio, 89.5 FM Vallejo, CA.
- The work you read must be your own unless we have agreed you may read someone else's original work for them.
- You must hold copyright or have permission to read/perform your work.
- Mrs. Grundy doesn't work here but keep in mind we broadcast to a general audience. Please use good judgment about profanity, erotic content and subject matter. If you have a question about the suitability of your work, submit it anyway. We'll let you know if modifications might be appropriate.
- Reading on the radio is a public performance, generally considered to constitute publication. Thus, you grant us one-time publication rights. Thereafter, full publication rights revert to you. Feel free to brag about being a published writer in your bio or resume!
- Your performance may become part of an audio archive accessible through this website. By reading your work on "The Storytellers," you are granting us the right to archive audio of your work here, unless we agree otherwise.
- You will be broadcasting your work over the airwaves at KZCT (OZCAT Community Radio) 89.5 FM in Vallejo, CA and also streaming live on the internet.
- Individual listeners can be inventive. They may record directly from the broadcast or the live stream regardless of whether or not you grant them any rights. Bootleg lives! Just so you know.
- The show is broadcast on the third Thursday of each month from the KZCT studios at 1026 Georgia Street in Vallejo. Readers assemble in the Green Room at 9:45 a. m. for last minute preparations before the show begins at 10:00 a. m. Your friends and family members are welcome to join us in the Green Room to listen to the broadcast and cheer you on.
- A rehearsal for timing and other logistics is held the second Wednesday of every month from 10 a. m. - 12:00 noon. Further details about the rehearsal are provided when your piece is accepted for reading. The rehearsal is mandatory since many details need to be considered in putting together publicity for the show, as well as the show itself. Readers often benefit from the comments and suggestions of others who will read on the same show and may wish to make minor changes before going live. We encourage you to do so because we want you to be able to read the story you really want to read.
- If you can't attend the rehearsal we may be able to arrange for someone to read your piece on your behalf or we may suggest that you hold your piece for a subsequent show.